Small changes can be made in your daily routine to improve fitness. It doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" quest.
If you don't have a gym membership or you shudder at the thought of working out with weights, there are many alternates that can add up to a little more fitness everyday.
Here are a few small steps that won't turn you into an athlete but will help change your daily habits toward a healthier lifestyle:
- Upon waking (before you hit the shower) drop and do 10 push-ups or 10 squats to get your metabolism going
- Use the stairs instead of the escalators
- For public transit: get off 2 blocks sooner and walk the rest of the way
- If parking at your building: take a walk around the block before going up to work
- Instead of emailing or phoning co-workers, walk to their office and talk to them face to face
- Do tummy contractions (yeah, that's right, pull in your gut) while standing in line
- Use the bathroom on another floor - take the stairs
- Take a walk after lunch - not only will you be getting a little exercise in, but you will also reduce your stress and come back to work feeling refreshed
Try the 10,000 Steps A Day Challenge
- While on the telephone, stand and stretch
- If you love watching TV in the evenings - do push-ups and planks during commercials
THE SMALL STEPS ADD UP - SO GET STARTED!
Just because you don't have weights at home or in your hotel room while on vacation doesn't mean you can't workout. There are many exercises you can do with your own bodyweight.
Here's a list to help you get started:
Click here for a full description on how to perform each of the bodyweight exercises
- Push-ups - two arm, one arm, incline, decline, with knee-ups, with knee twist combos
- Core work - front plank, side plank, dynamic planks, push-up to side plank, gliding planks, pendulums, mountain climbers, gliding straddles, side plank with twist and reach, walking planks with alternating arm and knee raises, starfishes, crunches, bicycle crunches, v-sits, wood chops, supermans, spiderman crawls
- Lunges - static lunges, walking lunges, reverse lunges
- Squats - regular squats, one legged squats, side walking squats or crab walks
- Butt work - bridges/hip raises, plie squats
- Plyometrics - jumps & burpees, jumping scissor lunges, squat jumps
Do you like being outdoors? Click on the links for outdoor activities:
Exercise and The Great Outdoors
Winter Activities - Playing In The Snow
Return from Fitness Anywhere to My Health Site Home Page
The contents of this site are the opinions of Michele Tse unless otherwise noted. The information on this site is intended for general informational and educational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical or nutritional advice or treatment. Please consult your health care practitioner before beginning any fitness program.